It’s a common misconception that you purchase a font. In fact, all intellectual rights to the font software and its design is still ours. What you purchase is a license to use it in a certain way. To further complicate things, we also have some terms:
Yes, you may:
- Use the font files on the number of workstations/for the number of pageviews specified on your invoice. There is no limit on geographic locations, as long as you keep it within your company. If our standard licenses don’t fit your needs, please contact us directly.
- Modify the font files for your personal use. Please contact us if you need to modify fonts on behalf of a client.
- Back up the font files however suits you best.
- Embed the font files in e-books, applications or other software with an app-license. They are offered in six different levels, priced by units sold (or downloaded) per month. If you sell less then 50 apps a month, the license fee for one font is only €60.
- Use the font files on the web, either with a web-license or through Webtype.com. Our web license offer three different levels, priced by pageviews per month. For most personal sites, the license fee for one font is only €60. Web font licenses come with installable fonts for mockup purposes in addition to the webfont kit, covering both the designer and client.
No, you may not:
- Give or lend the font files to someone else. We obviously want that potential customer for ourselves. Besides, didn’t you pay for our fonts because you wanted something a little unique?
- Send a copy of the font files to the printer. We do however offer a special reduced rate license for these cases. Contact us directly.
- Sell or give away modifications of our fonts.
- Use the font software in the creation of alphabet products¹. Any such use requires the purchase of a special license. Contact us for a quote.
The fine print:
- Once you download and/or install and/or use the font files, you are confirming you understand and agree to the terms of this agreement, and that you have the authority to bind the person or entity specified on your sales receipt to the terms of this agreement.
- We expressly disclaim all warranties, express and implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. Monokrom does not warrant that the operation of the fonts will be uninterrupted or error-free, or that the fonts are without defects. Under no circumstances shall Monokrom be liable to you or any other party, whether in contract or tort (including negligence) or otherwise, for any special, consequential, or incidental damages, including lost profits, savings or business interruption as a result of the use of the fonts even if notified in advance of such possibility.
- Any dispute regarding the validity, performance or interpretation of this agreement shall be governed by the laws of the state of Norway, and any civil lawsuit shall be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of Oslo, Norway.
- Alphabet product, such as, but not limited to: house numbers, stamp sets, rub-on letters, adhesive alphabet letters, alphabet punch and die sets or other methods for use in making such products.